I have been playing with a few different iPad apps to use for creating a presentation video in the last few weeks. There are a bunch out there and they all seem to bring their own little plus to the table. The best one I have run across so far is Doodlecast Pro.
Doodlecast Pro has a bunch of things going for it.
- It allows you to pause your videos and even back up a few seconds to re-record something you felt you struggled with. Using the pause option does not cause any hiccups at all…it has a seamless flow!
- You have a number of backgrounds to choose from right within the app. Choose from graph paper, lined paper, a Venn diagram, or a comic strip, just to name a few.
- Need a background of your own? Import an image from your camera roll, resize it, and use it how you see fit.
- There are many options as far as color for both fill and drawing/writing. You can also adjust the width of your lines.
- Choose from different images to use as a cursor to show where you want the viewer to be looking.
- You can have multiple pages within the doodlecast. Add pages with different backgrounds to achieve different purposes. Once again, the transition between pages is seamless. Pause when adding a page to gather your thoughts then go right on recording again.
- When you are looking to share your presentation video, you have the option to export to your camera roll, email, add to YouTube, or share through Dropbox. Choose the quality of your video to help you control file size if you think that will be an issue.
All of the functions are super-easy…right at your fingertips. I took about 3-4 minutes and created the sample video you see here. It was very quick and easy.
I can see this app being used across the curriculum. Record a lesson for students who were absent or create tutorials that your students can visit when they need a little help. Let your students record what they are doing to explain a process they are studying. Give directions to or teach your class when you are not there. The possibilities are endless!
To get an even better look at what Doodlecast Pro can do for you, visit Doodlecastpro.com and watch their short introductory video. The app is on sale right now for $.99. Hurry and take advantage of the offer! You will not regret it.