During the #txed Twitter chat last Wednesday night we were challenged to write about our highs and lows during this school year. With all that happened throughout the year, what memories carry the most weight? Here’s my list.
- #txed chats- I look forward to it every Wednesday. It lifts my spirits and fills me with passion to go out and push for greatness each week.
- TCEA- Getting the chance to meet many Tweeps face to face was amazing. It makes the chats seem even more powerful.
- EdCampWaller- My first edcamp experience was great…highlighted by leading a discussion with @RafranzDavis.
- Missing the Google Summit- It was in my backyard but just not possible to get to.
- Missing #iste2013- Family comes first, but it would have been great to meet up with all my Tweeps again.
For the school year and the work done in my district and on my campuses, I experienced a lot of highs this year. Watching teachers who fought to NOT have an IWB placed in their rooms now brag about what they are doing with it and can’t seem to function if it isn’t working properly. I had a lot of teachers step out of their comfort zone to try new things, and most were very successful. They are starting to see a difference in their class culture and in student understanding.
I also experienced a few lows. My biggest low came with training. I had a plan coming into the year to give trainings on my campuses more often and tailor to the needs of specific teachers. That failed miserably very early in the year. We started with a schedule but the schedule quickly changed. Obligations both for the teachers and myself caused many postponements and cancellations until I gave in to the fact that it just wouldn’t work the way it needs to. It is back to the drawing board to figure out a new plan of attack.
My personal/professional high has been this blog. I set out to with a plan to post one time a week and I have stuck to it. I have seen my number of hits grow. I feel this is another way for me to reach more educators. This in turn helps me reach more students, which is what it should always be about.
That wraps up my highs and lows. Closing this chapter and getting ready to start another one for next year!